Up as We Go

"I'm making this up as I go!" - Indiana Jones

My Photo
Name:
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Monday, June 25, 2007

BookCrossing

Today I was walking along the street with my friend Jesse on our way to sign for our new apartment, when I saw a book on a bus stop bench. I thought, "someone left a book here by accident." After reading the note taped to the cover, I realized that someone left the book there by design. The book is part of a phenomenon called "bookcrossing" that is defined in the following way:

bookcrossing n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

The definition was added to the OED in 2004, a fact that seems to be a source of great pride for the BookCrossing people. There is a website.

The book I found was A Bird in the House by Margaret Laurence. It's short, so I'll read it quickly and "release" it again. Doing that is apparently pretty decent karma.

It's a little bit like the library, but with a greater measure of forced serendipity.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post paul and congratulations on your first "catch". When you make a Journal Entry on the book(that will let others know where you found it and how you like it), others before you will be notified by email and trust me, it will make their day! Congrats and welcome aboard the BookCrossing train.
Scott
CEO BookCrossing

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home